Sunday, July 21, 2013

Sunday Blessings-my ancestors

I am so grateful for those who came before me.  I am honored that several of my ancestors wrote about their lives.  I come from LDS pioneer heritage that includes Thomas Grover-mentioned in the Doctrine and Covenants here:  Doctrine & Covenants 124:132  who served on one of the first High Councils of the church.
Another ancestor was Joel Hills Johnson, who wrote the words to the song High on the Mountain Top and other LDS Hymns.
But some of my most treasured stories are of people like Susan Ellen Johnson who was such a strong woman at a young age and who crossed the plains by herself as a teenager and most of the way was without shoes.  And Susan Chantrill who was a teacher in Idaho and Northern Utah and was so loved that she taught school and then tutored children into her 70's.  Also, Nephi Martineau's wonderful stories of the miracles of his mission to Kentucky, where he traveled without money in his pocket nor travel plans.

It is in living a good life and following their examples of faith, endurance and charity that I can honor them, be grateful for them and be ready to meet them in the next life.

No comments:

Post a Comment