Friday, July 26, 2013

Friday Favorites-Top 5 Disney Princesses and what we can learn from them.....

Who doesn't love Disney Princesses?  They sure have come a long way from those helpless,  "someday my prince will come" girls waiting for someone else to save them.  My 14 year old daughter and I came up with our list of Top 5 and the lessons they can teach us.




5.  Tiana-from The Princess and the Frog
She is a girl who works really hard to make her dreams come true and to fight evil.  This is great for my daughters and granddaughters to realize because I come from a long line of very hard-working, capable women.
4.  Mulan-from Mulan
She is a girl who is very courageous and who doesn't give up or give in even when things are hard.  She loves her family and her country and ends up saving many because she was smart enough to come up with a plan and brave enough to lead the way to accomplish it.  As the world changes, we need girls who are smart and courageous, especially who have courage to stand up for truth and righteousness.


3.  Merida-from Brave
She is a girl who is resourceful and determined.  When she realized her mistake, she did all she could to make it right.  We all make mistakes, but not everyone admits to them, apologizes and makes restitution to those we have hurt.  She doesn't give up easily either.  We all need to have some of her spunk, wit and perseverance.


2.  Belle-from Beauty and the Beast
She is a sweet girl who sacrifices for her father and who serves with her heart.  She also loves books and learning.  She is genuine and honest in her feelings and is tender-hearted enough to fall in love with a beast.  The beast changes because of her kindness.  She brought light into his dark life and in the end they were perfect for each other.  I hope my girls learn not to judge people on outward appearances.   You never know what terrible things they have had to bear and a little kindness can make all the difference.  A love of learning helps us understand ourselves better and how to deal with the world around us.


1.  Rapunzel-from Tangled
She is amazingly talented and capable, but humble and trusting.  She accomplishes a lot in a day and uses a frying pan for more than just cooking.  She brings out the good in the people she meets and they want to help her.  She was born a princess but doesn't remember.  Eventually, she makes it back to the King and Queen. Even though she was betrayed by someone who was supposed to protect her, she doesn't let that sour her sweet personality.   I remember being taught as a girl that I am the daughter of a King but I can't remember Him.  He is the Father of my spirit and I lived with Him before this life.  He thinks of me and wants me to return to Him.  Like the lanterns for Rapunzel, He has given me lights to follow that will help me return to Him someday.  This is also what I want my girls to know.  Those lights can be scriptures, songs, stories or people that help us return to our home in heaven that will become familiar the moment we return.

No comments:

Post a Comment