Sunday, March 23, 2014

Sunday Blessings-Prayer

I am grateful for prayer.  The act of praying keeps us humble and grateful and provides a way for us to petition God through His Son Jesus Christ.  I remember getting my first real answer to a prayer when I was in college.  I prayed to know if the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was the true church.  I had been raised in it, but wanted an unmistakeable manifestation of it's truthfulness.  I prayed as earnestly as I could and then waited.  I waited for what seemed like hours but was probably about 25 minutes.  Finally, I felt a warming feeling filling my whole body and a voice in my head telling me 'Yes, it is true.  You know it's true.  You've always known it was true.'  Then along with those words I had feelings that I had known about the gospel of Jesus Christ before I was born, when I lived in heaven.  This event struck me so that I never again wondered if it was true.  And over time I have learned a little better how to distinguish between my own thoughts and answers from my Heavenly Father.  I don't get distinct answers whenever I pray, and I pray every day.  But when I need His help, he comforts me and inspires me.  Sometimes I do get distinct answers and I know that they were not my own thoughts.  Most often I pray for His constant guidance through the Holy Ghost and I can testify that I am blessed and protected and guided.    

No comments:

Post a Comment