Sunday, September 14, 2014

Sunday Blessings-Food

I was looking through my past posts and I can't believe I have never had "food" as one of the blessings I am grateful for.  It is an interesting thing that food gives us life and we need to constantly feed our bodies, but overindulgence, especially of the unhealthy foods, can lead to so many health problems.  But it is fascinating to me that food can bring me so much pleasure.  I have my favorites that just make me salivate.
More than anything, I am grateful that I have enough to sustain me.  I am grateful that I was not born in a place or circumstance where I was hungry a lot as a child.  This basic human need can make people desperate or so they cannot think of anything else.  I think of Christ feeding the 5,000 and how merciful it was to fill their stomachs before they were filled spiritually.
Another interesting thing related to this is fasting.  When we fast for a purpose, it draws us away from the physical need to things on a more spiritual level.  Fasting is difficult for me-probably because I love food so much.  But I can testify that I have received profound revelation from fasting and prayer.  I am grateful for this blessing of having food to nourish my body and the analogy of nourishing my spirit on a regular basis.  I'm still working on continuous "feasting on the scriptures."  I think I want to try to work on that more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment